MY FIRST DRIVE

by - February 06, 2019




I am very elated to tell my readers that my blog has turned one month old on 1st February with the blessings of God and my elders. I was skeptical to write at first but my mind was becoming frozen and turning compact like the smallest bead of my mangalsutra. It was driving me crazy. So I took a plunge into writing poems and short stories. I boarded my three wheeled vehicle. The two strong rear wheels being my daughter and son. Thanks to my daughter for designing and creating this incredible blog and lending her extraordinary artwork and photography to compliment each article .My son who is in 7th class has been my techno guru from the beginning .He stood by my side with his school taught computer knowledge. He has been my GPS, navigating my way into aligning text, editing,and guiding me to adhere images into my blog.

I thank my children from the bottom of my heart for their tremendous support and being amazing helpers.This blog would not have been possible without your helping hands. Both of you have excelled in moral science as usual.l took the driver's seat with my two kids and my baby blog and eloped in my auto-rickshaw (which runs on three wheels) into the world of writing .

Thanks to everyone out there for taking out your precious time to read my articles. Your feedback with wonderful comments are the fuel to keep me propelling on my three wheeler. Thanks for encouraging a housewife.Thank you readers from USA, Russia, Qatar and India.

On this occasion of celebrating the first month of my baby bog, I will share my story of my four wheeler drive.Please dig into it....
                      

 MY FIRST DRIVE

Four wheelers are truly the best road companion.The best part being, the family seated together under a metal roof on cozy chair, with no escape to run away from each other until you reach your destination. After getting my driving license I pridefully took to the driver seat, harnessed in my seat belt.

My husband took the navigator's seat next to me. Only to tell me to figure out the way myself. I was apprehensive and astonished at his response as I was not aware of the route. But I was not in any mood to indulge in any arguments at that time.My three year old daughter occupied the back-seat with all her goodies and her favorite teddy bear.I pleaded my chatterbox to maintain silence as mommy would be focusing all her attention on the road, abiding the traffic rules.

My daughter Mithu was having a terrible time, with no nursery rhymes blaring out from the speakers, which was the normal in our car. I drove smoothly from Indira Nagar to Gomti Nagar in my long white Fiat.My daughter lost her patience and shouted on top of her voice, that she would no longer go to her school in the school van.I would have to drop and pick her up from kindergarten every single day from then on wards. She was pleased with my driving as I drove smoothly and didn't give bumps, jumps and jhatkas (jerks) nor did her teddy and sipper fall off the seat. I had passed the driving test in her innocent judgement. With her dad ride she swayed inside the car at turns. I felt elated with my driving skills. The navigator too seemed happy, not speaking a word.

After a joyous ride, it was time to return home,taking the crossroads where I was suppose to take a turn.I had a habit of pressing the indicator button five minutes before taking the turn, making my fellow drivers behind me super aware of the fact that I was going to take a turn. Hope they excused me on noticing the two big red 'L's gracing the front and rear glasses of my car. Recalling the rules I took the turn with a speed limit of 20 kmph, and lo, a "BIG BANG" ! My car was hit by a Netaji's Sumo Jeep which was recklessly driven by his driver and his followers seated inside.

My car screeched to a halt. The driver was driving at a speed of around 60 kmph at the crossroads. Traffic police, constables, and police from nearby chowki (police quarters) jumped to the accident site which rarely happens in real or reel life.


On investigating Netaji's driver and chamchas (croonies) shared their story of misconduct. They were going to Netaji's farmhouse to pick him and his family. The car they took to the farmhouse had incurred some problems on his way to the city.They were waiting for another car to pick them up, hence the brash driving.

The Police in charge and Netaji had some serious discussion over the phone.They came to me and said "Madam aapki galti nahi hai, aap ghar jayiye", (its not your fault go home).This statement was 100% true, accounted for, by witnesses. The witnesses being, pedestrians, roadside vendors, shopkeepers,and even the traffic police on duty. I was going nuts, and was all set to drag the driver to jail and get his driving license japt (barred). The culprit was given a clean chit as he had Netaji's influence backing him, something which influenced even the law enforcers.I asked my husband what the hell was going on ? He said, "Lets go home. There's no need to take panga (mess with) with these people. I will drive back home".

My little daughter was in terror and shock.She started wailing on top of her voice.Thank God we were safe.I looked at the condition of my car which had been mercilessly hit and bore many dents here and there with paint peeling off.I was in guilt,while bearing no fault of my own. Holding my crying baby in my arms and and observing the condition of the car,I was shocked. It was sure to give a jolt and dent to my husband's pocket. Which luckily didn't happen because of its covered insurance.

When our car returned from the garage after its makeover I didn't dare to drive with my daughter on board. She was fierce and angry every morning before school at me for I had broken my promise, though I would drive casually to keep my driving skills intact. I believed "practice makes one perfect''. Soon my husband got transferred overseas and we sold our car.I upgraded my driving license along with my husband's as an international driver before leaving for USA.

This time we bought Toyota Corolla, as one can't imagine life in USA without a l car. I got my own sea blue Toyota Camry. The driver's seat shifted from right to left unlike that in India. The upgraded version of my driving licence was good enough to be thrown in the bin.My daughter resumed going to kindergarten in the yellow school bus. Whereas I started learning driving rules, memorizing traffic signs and signals preparing to take the driver's license test for the second time in my life. This time it was an online test and I passed with flying colours and earned my learners NC driver's license. I was off again driving on the society campus driveway, the service road, and within the city.

I didn't try for the permanent driving license as I figured it was quite tiresome. It wasn't my cup of tea.I quit driving Though many a times now I regret my decision. Now rental cars are a boon in disguise for me.Their convenience gives hassle free smooth ride to the destination with just a handy OTP.



You May Also Like

5 comments

  1. Very nice upgrade to the blog. Hehehe I wonder who did it 😉. Keep writing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your blog'My First Drive', a very nice description of the unfolding events.Very expressive and good narrative of the journey of emotions.Congratulations! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok now understood the hidden cause of dropping the driving enthu..

    ReplyDelete