My dad, My pride

by - June 21, 2020



"Papa tomorrow is Father's Day," I said, looking at his framed photograph. For a decade, year after year I have been celebrating Father's Day without you. Lighting a diya and placing flowers in front of your photograph has been a routine. I suddenly felt his smile, assuring me that he is with me.

 
I didn't try to hold back my emotions. Tears rolled down my cheeks. The past overcame my present and I was overcome with his memories.
 
I could still see him crystal clear, a handsome man, a scholar, the real hero of my life, my joy. A fearless person with an amazing sense of humour which kept me, my sister and my mom snuggled around him.
 
His way of teaching was very unique. Every weekend he would take us to the bank the of river Ganga to spend time with nature. He always said to us, "See the world as it is." The meaning of which I never understood until I was an adult.
 
*****
 
I especially remember this sports day that has changed my life. The lesson I learnt then has kept me going to this day. 
 
I proudly stood in the line of the athletes and spotted my dad in the crowd of onlookers. He gave me a thumbs up. Confidently I readied myself for the race and shot past with the 'Fweet' of the whistle. 
 
Halfway through, I fell as a girl from the other lane barged into me. By the time I recovered myself the race was over. I started crying profusely and felt dejected for letting my class down.
 
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw papa hurrying through the crowd. He took permission from our class teacher and came towards me, patted me on my back and gently said, "Life is not a smooth road but a race of hurdles which you have to cross. Whenever you fall it's not the end whether it is in studies, games, or life. Failure gives us a chance to rise and understand life in every aspect. It gives one courage and determination to perform better and see the world from every perspective."
 
I don't know how much I understood its meaning then, but I ran well and our team won the relay race.
 
******
 
Several years later his teachings empowered me to make many decisions on my own without bothering him.
 
Later he developed a cardiac problem and had to undergo bypass surgery. We felt helpless during those times. Nevertheless, dad remained a strong and cheerful person who fought against his ailment bravely.
 
*****
 
So flew my thoughts when suddenly the buzz of my mobile snatched me away from my reverie. Teary-eyed, looking at his photo once again, I thought why on earth do we celebrate Father's Day only on the third Sunday of June. 
 
It should be celebrated every day by showing our gratitude to the most important person in our lives. The world will be entirely different if we keep that in mind.

You May Also Like

0 comments